- mail_outline Streetlights email@example.com
To set expectations for any construction projects that include the installation of streetlights
Who Must Comply?
Streetlight projects located in the franchise area within the geographical boundaries of the City and County of San Francisco
For emergency situations, please call 9-1-1. For streetlight outages, please call 3-1-1. Emails are checked intermittently and are not intended to respond to emergencies and outages.
We are here to help developers understand the street and pedestrian lighting requirements and processes in the City and County of San Francisco. Please contact the streetlight engineer reviewing your project for the most up to date information. Please note that drawings provided are markups approved for current use.
The streetlight guidelines explain the requirements in designing and installing streetlights, including frequently asked questions.
Steps for Successful Installation of Streetlights
- Project owner fills out Streetlight Review Request.
- After review and revisions Photometric Study will be approved.
Project owner will know the location, pole, and luminaire used.
- Apply for new unmetered service(s) or request to use an existing service.
Please see streetlight guidelines for directions on how to apply and/or request to use an existing service.
- Project owner will revise streetlight plan to include service point information
- After review and revisions, Streetlight Plan will be approved.
- The project owner asks for and receives an estimate for SFPUC inspection and administrative costs.
- Project owner pays the funds.
- Project owner fills out inspection form and sends to SLInspections@sfwater.org.
Send at least 5 working days before to schedule an inspection of: a) All streetlight infrastructure before pour and b) Final inspection
- The project owner receives an approval of the above from PUC inspector. (email is OK)
- The project continues with the construction of the foundation, installation of poles and lights and all other items as necessary.
- The project team calls PUC inspector for final acceptance.
- Punch list items are provided to the Project owner
- Complete all punch list items and provide red lined drawings, final submittals and warranty information to the Project owner.
- Streetlight Engineer will provide Project owner with acceptance document.
Have you have collected and submitted all the information needed for review?
- Request to review new streetlight work. Streetlight Review Request
- Request to remove or temporarily remove SFPUC/PG&E owned and maintained streetlights. Streetlight Removal Request
- Request to relocate streetlight infrastructure that does not have new streetlight work. Streetlight Relocation Request
- Request to review sidewalk work only. Sidewalk Review Request
DPW Red Lined Drawings, Various Forms and Other Documents
Department of Public Works Red Lined Drawings:
Drawings from SF Public Works are in the process of being updated. Below are the red-lined drawings that supersede those drawings.
Make sure that you have collected and submitted all the information needed for review.
Documents to help aid in your streetlight design
Questions? Please contact the following:
SLEngineering@sfwater.org - Streetlight engineering related inquires
SLInspections@sfwater.org - Inspection requests
Streetlights@sfwater.org - General streetlight related inquiries, as-built inquiries, and redlined drawings
Last updated: 10/26/2021