Winter storms have made this year one of the wettest on record, and snowpack has reached record breaking levels. This follows directly after three of the driest years in recorded history.
Based on systemwide hydrologic conditions and water storage in the SFPUC’s reservoirs, the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission formally rescinded the Water Shortage Emergency Declaration at our April 11, 2023 Commission Meeting. The drought surcharge was lifted, effective May 1, 2023.
Climate change is resulting in more extreme weather whiplash, and more long-term vulnerabilities for our water supply. Every drop of water matters.
Thank you for continuing to being water smart. San Francisco customers visit sfpuc.org/savewater for resources, rebates, and incentives.
Customers outside of San Francisco can visit bawsca.org/drought to find water conservation programs in your area.
Drought Surcharge Updates
The drought surcharge was lifted, effective May 1, 2023.
For questions, please contact Customer Service at (415) 551-3000, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm except on holidays, or email us at
Take Advantage of Free Water Conservation Resources
- Save Water Guides: English, Spanish, Chinese, and Filipino,
- Free Water Conservation Check Up and Free Devices delivered to you. Sign up.
- Replacing your clothes washer? We have rebates for residential and commercial customers.
- Free water saving toilets including installation. See if you qualify.
- Businesses can earn rebates for equipment retrofits. Learn more.
Conservation Tip Sheets and Guides
Downloadable Signage for your Building or Business
Help spread the word about cutting water waste in your building. Download, print, and post these signs. Thank you!
Full Color Signs:
Partial Color to conserve printer ink: